Wednesday, March 2, 2011

General Tso's Chicken

Dinner tonight was delicious and I feel like I need to tell the interwebs about it.  I had my weigh in tonight and was down another 2.8lbs ... go me.  The problem with meeting nights is that I don't get home until 7:30.  I ate a blood orange during our meeting, but by the time I was home I was hungry and as per usual, I still had a boatload of points to use (Banana for breakfast, 8 point chicken wrap lunch, 2 point yogurt and an blood orange for snacks aka 19 points left).

I went off browsing the WW site for something to make with the chicken I have in the fridge and found 7 point recipe for General Tso's Chicken, but I didn't exactly have everything I needed so I just made substitutes.  I definitely ate more than one serving because I could, I was half assed measuring and ate about 1.5 servings and was stuffed to the gills which felt really nice.





General Tso's Chicken 7 points (adapted from WW)

Ingredients
3/4's cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1.5 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp red wine vinegar (recipe said use white wine vinegar)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (recipe said use peanut oil)
1/4 of a huge ass onion chopped (recipe said two scallions ... close enough)
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb 99% fat free boneless chicken tenderloins (recipe said boneless skinless breasts)
1 package of microwave brown rice from Trader Joe's (Recipe says 2 cups white rice)

Instructions
Mix broth, corn starch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger together in a bowl. Make sure the corn starch isn't lumpy and is fully mixed in then set it aside.

On the stove, heat the oil and add in onion, red pepper and garlic.  Cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened up a bit.  Toss in the chicken and cook until the chicken is pretty much done.  Then add the sauce you made earlier making sure to remix any of the corn starch that may have settled at the bottom.  Cook for about 3 minutes until the sauce has thickened.

Notes:
*According to WW a serving is about 1 cup of the chicken/sauce and 1/2 cup of rice.
*None of my changes affected the point value ... larger amounts of peanut oil are slightly less than extra virgin olive oil, but for the amount used they are the same point values
* I took a picture with my phone, I was hungry, it looks like shit, I had already started eating.  Oh well.

********************************************

Edited 3/3/2011

CB here. I just made this tonight and O-M-G it's really good. I followed the original recipe pretty closely. The only thing I changed was adding some steamed broccoli florets. Oh and I did brown rice instead of white rice.

Rating: 5/5

Here's my picture b/c Nikki's was... ahem... not clear.



I love you Nikki.

1 comment:

  1. bahaha not clear would be what is known as the understatement of the year. Sweet so that's 4 thumbs up for this recipe. Woot

    ReplyDelete

We, hippos, love comments! Just play nice and we won't rip your head off with our razor sharp teeth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...