Saturday, March 19, 2011

Weight Watchers Kitchen Companion for Ipad

I've had an ipad for awhile, but couldn't find Water for Elephants at the used book store and was impatient and decided to DL it to my ipad.  Since then I've been playing around with it more than usual.  Sadly, it usually just doesn't get much use unless I'm on a long drive with G because I prefer browsing on my laptop. 

So, as I was browsing apps, I decided to check out the WW Kitchen Companion app.  OMG I'm in love.  This thing rocks my socks.  To be honest, I'm not a huge fan on browsing recipes in etools.  It's just not smooth and loveable like I expect websites to be.  Frankly, it's a pain in the ass unless I know what I'm looking for.  The ipad app on the other hand is to.die.for.  Seriously, it's amazing.    You can view screen shots here, I may post some of my own later, but it's 2am and I'm just not feeling it right now.

 For starters, the home page is pretty much a foodie orgasm.  It's a gorgeous array of delicious looking food with the points clearly displayed.  Freaking awesome.  Made me drool.

From there you can click into a recipe to check it out.  At this point you can either add to your  favorites, your recipe box, email it, post it to facebook etc.  You can also add to your shopping list, which makes weekly meal planning easy for the shopping list types. There's also a little make this recipe button in the middle. When you click "make this recipe" it brings you to an easy to read recipe copy that you take into the kitchen and you can check your ingredients off as you use them.  This is kind of amazing for someone like me that has been known to oopsie daisy forget an ingredient or two when there's a long list.

It also saves all the recipes you're "making" to a little icon at the top so you can quickly access them.  I see this being really helpful for weekly planning because once I pick out what I want to eat I don't have to search through my recipe box for the ones I'm going to need for the week, I just need to click on that little icon at the top and my recipes are there and waiting for me.

You can also browse featured recipes, your favorites and your recipe box and you can add new recipes When you want do do these things the ipad needs to be horizontal ... I accidentally turned it vertically and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get back to them as I was writing this. 

Did I hear you say your kitchen timer broke? Well, this app has a timer  err  multiple timers, as many as you want to add.  I don't really use timers for cooking or baking for that matter, but it's still fun that it's there.

And last but, certainly not least.  There's a guide section with videos and cooking basics and such.  There's officially no excuse to not know how to cook, this app will teach you.  I'm sure these are probably online, but I already know how to cook so I don't really need them.

Of course, you can also search for recipes in the same fashion as you can online through etools and you can add the things you cook to your tracker. It seems as though you can't do traditional tracking on it unless you enter all of the recipes, but that's what the regular iphone app is for (it can also be downloaded to the ipad).

As a final note, mainly to CB since she's totally swayed by pretty things and we were just discussing how pretty she thought the new ipad was.  If you don't have an ipad this is not amazing enough to buy an ipad for, but if you already have one then get this app.  It's free to download and even if you don't use etools you can use it in a limited form, if you have etools then you can just go to town with this bad boy.

2 comments:

  1. Actually your post was TOTALLY counter productive if you were trying to convince me NOT to get an iPad2 b/c now I want one even more! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit that's what I was worried about. T is going to kill me haha

    ReplyDelete

We, hippos, love comments! Just play nice and we won't rip your head off with our razor sharp teeth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...